Revenge of the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. Or, how did your game go?


Set up was great, but couldn't stick the landing. For reasons that included a drug deal, a rooftop chase in the dark, one kicked-in door, an incontinent doberman and the most poorly planned roadwork in any city east of Montreal, I was almost half an hour late. At which point everyone had already picked a game and I was in no state to play a pity character at someone else's table. So instead I went home, took an Ativan and passed out for six hours.

I'm trying not to look at it as a setback. The planning alone made me think about Dungeons and Dragons in a way I hadn't before. I did a lot of reading and listened to a lot of podcasts, and I think I have a better understanding of the game than I've ever had. Even back when I used to run weekly games.

I also get to finally turn my attention to 5th edition in readiness for my new game which begins in less than two weeks. Since I do not know the people I'll be playing with, I don't want to do too much preparation. I think I'll begin with a basic premise, like kill the spiders under the tavern and see where it goes from there. I'm not even sure if I'll work in an established world like the Forgotten Realms or Krynn, or see if we make up our own world as we go. I'm honestly fine with either and am quite excited to see what direction we ultimately head.

Then there is all that that writing I did for what I've come to call 'Revenge of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks'. I'll certainly cannibalize the hell out of it, but I sucks that I'll never get the chance to run it as written. I'm still keen on writing a version 'Expedition to the Final Frontier', but after doing all those Lab-Lord stats blocks for REBP, I honestly think I'd rather write 'Final Frontier' for T.W.E.R.PS. Trek.



No comments:

Post a Comment