The State of Actual Play Podcasts

I have been looking for an 'actual-play' 5E podcast to help me internalize the rules a little bit, and after many, many, many hours of listening to any I could find, I have come to a few conclusions. If you and your group are thinking about doing this and...
-can keep it under an hour
-can keep the players from trying to outdo each other in stupidity/bad humour for the sake of the mic.
-can keep the laughing to a minimum
-and have access to proper recording, mix and editing equipment
... then I say go for it!

It might seems simple enough list, but so far I've tried a dozen or so different podcasts and I'll take this opportunity to admit here that I'm hard of hearing. If your sound quality is terrible, I'm gone before the introduction by DM Mushmouth is over. And I swear by the golden crown of the Elven Empress herself, if I have to hear another damned first episode that is a 'new group that meets in a tavern and then tries to steal from the bartender and/or otherwise acts like homicidal lobotomy patients on bath-salts' one more time, I'm gonna gouge out my eardrums with an vorplal dagger.

Please understand, there is nothing wrong with playing like a group of homicidal, lobotomized bath-salt junkies - my own group is 6 teenage boys and believe me, its not that much of an exaggeration - but it does NOT make for good media.

Recommendations welcome ....

No comments:

Post a Comment